About Bon Secours Physical Therapy
Patient Centered, Evidence Based
The physical therapy services that we provide are patient centered because we:
- Believe and practice on a daily basis the Bon Secours values of Respect, Quality, Justice, Compassion, Stewardship, Integrity, Growth, and Innovation.
- Treat clients with respect and dignity at all times.
- Actively involve the client in decision-making and treatment plan.
- Are accessible to clients for communication via phone or email; we actively seek your questions and suggestions utilizing Bon Secours “My Chart”.
- Provide for interpretative services for non-English speaking clients and the hearing impaired.
- Recognize your time and money are important and strive to achieve your treatment goals is as few as number of visits as possible.
- Advocate for the client when there is discord between referral sources and health insurance companies.
The Physical Therapy services that we provide are evidence based because we:
- Believe evidence based medicine is the integration of best research evidence, with clinical expertise, and patient values.
- Believe outcome research has repeatedly documented that those patients who do receive evidence based therapies have better outcomes than those who don’t.
- Are critical of what we do. We ask is the current standard of care the best and is it based on the best available evidence.
- Turn clinical problems into questions and then systematically locate, appraise, and use contemporaneous research findings as the basis for clinical decisions.
- Contribute to the body of knowledge of peer reviewed literature by writing detailed case reports.
- Will explain why our treatment recommendation varies from the standard Physical Therapy intervention for your problem, and show you the evidence from your particular clinical exam why we recommend a particular intervention.
- Provide citations when we write patient hand outs and when we write in our blog.
- Are more likely to be skeptical and rather than certain.
- Will appear comfortable with ambiguity or uncertainty, and may say “I need to do some research on that question; I will get back to you”.
How Patient Centered and Evidence Based Medicine Relate to Each Other
Ideally the paradigm of evidence based medicine and patient center medicine should be complementary and synergistic, but in reality they can be at odds. We will use scientific evidence to make recommendations, but the evidence based recommendation may or may not match your expectations and desires. When conflict occurs we ask your assistance. If you sense that your healthcare provider is providing a service that is:
- Both patient centered and evidence based trust him/her.
- Patient centered, and weak on evidence be skeptical.
- Strongly inclined toward evidence and not patient centered be assertive.
- Neither patient centered nor evidence based find a new provider.
Awareness and improved communication between the healthcare provider and the patient is important to have a balanced approach between patient centered and evidence based care.
You’ll find us at locations throughout Hampton Roads. Appointments are available within 24-48 hours.