Stroke Specialty Rehabilitation
Recovering from a stroke may prove challenging, but with the proper therapeutic regimen it’s possible to regain the skills you need to resume independent living. At Bon Secours Physical Therapy we work to improve each patient’s physical status and communication abilities in order to return to their previous activity level. We provide speech therapy, occupational therapy, and physical therapy in one location to promote communication between the three disciplines to ensure the best outcome for each patient. In addition to our gym and treatment areas, we also have an Activities of Daily Living Task Room in which we utilize household appliances to regain independence with everyday activities.
Speech language pathologists can provide therapy to patients with the following conditions:
- Receptive Language Difficulties – Answering questions, following commands, etc.
- Expressive Language Difficulties – Word finding difficulties, fluency, etc.
- Dysarthria – Change in speech and/or articulation
- Aphasia – Receptive language, expressive language, repetition, etc.
- Dysphagia – Swallowing difficulties
- Cognitive Communication Impairments –Attention, Organization, Memory, etc.
Occupational Therapy can help patients experiencing difficulty with the following conditions:
- Upper Extremity Re-Education – teaching exercises to encourage arm muscles to function
- Fine Motor Skills Training – teaching individuals to fasten buttons, tie laces, write, etc.
- Visual Perceptual Skill Training – helping patients understand visual changes and how to adapt
- Activities of Daily Living – learning to bathe and dress
- Adaptive Equipment & Devices -simple tools to help with bathing and dressing
Physical Therapy can address mobility issues through the following:
- Balance & Fall Prevention
- Vestibular Dysfunction Assessment and Treatment ( including vertigo)
- Increase Overall Strength and Flexibility training – helping to strengthen affected body parts to increase safety with walking
- Proprioception – helping regain the sense of body awareness
- Orthotic Fitting and Training – providing recommendations for bracing (if needed) to promote safety with walking
- Smart Balance Master – provides ability to test balance strategies and develop treatment plans based on individual needs
We want you to feel good again. You want to get back to your active lifestyle or perhaps improve your ability. At In Motion Physical Therapy, we have everything you need!
Bon Secours in Motion Portsmouth
5553 Portsmouth Blvd
Portsmouth, VA 23701
View map and get directions.