For patients with neurological disorders, everyday tasks like walking and speaking can be overwhelmingly difficult. Many patients feel isolated as a result.
At Bon Secours In Motion, our physical therapy clinic at Newport Avenue offers a non-invasive treatment program for neurological disorders. We provide individualized treatment plans based on each individual’s needs.
Diagnoses treated include (but not limited to):
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)
- Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (NPH)
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Cerebellar Degeneration
- Brain tumors
- Aphasia – Receptive Language and Expressive Language Difficulties
- Dysarthria – Change in speech and/or articulation
- Dysphagia – swallowing difficulties
- Cognitive Communication Impairments –Attention, Organization, Memory, etc.
Occupational Therapy can help patients experiencing difficulty with the following conditions:
- Upper Extremity Re-Education – teaching exercises to encourage arm muscles to function
- Fine Motor Skills Training – teaching individuals to fasten buttons, tie laces, write, etc.
- Visual Perceptual Skill Training – helping patients understand visual changes and how to adapt
- Activities of Daily Living – learning to bathe and dress
- Adaptive Equipment & Devices -simple tools to help with bathing and dressing
- Balance & Fall Prevention
- Vestibular Dysfunction Assessment and Treatment ( including vertigo)
- Increase Overall Strength and Flexibility training – helping to strengthen affected body parts to increase safety with walking
- Proprioception – helping regain the sense of body awareness
- Orthotic Fitting and Training – providing recommendations for bracing (if needed) to promote safety with walking
- Smart Balance Master – provides ability to test balance strategies and develop treatment plans based on individual needs
Specifically for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, we offer a research based program administered by certified therapists. LSVT BIG and LOUD, is the treatment of Parkinson’s through an intensive program of exercises. The goal of our BIG program is to help patients perform activities of daily living with greater ease and independence by increasing the amplitude of movement. The goal of our LOUD program is to help patients increase speaking volume and improve vocal quality and speed.
To learn more about our neuro rehabilitation program, contact us today at (757) 217-0333.